Applications for 2017 will open December 1st and close December 31, 2016.
Note: The instructions below are for applications for 2017.
The cost of the course is $475 and includes your textbooks.
Before applying, please note:
- All students must be or become members of the WAC if they are accepted into the class. Inactive WAC members will need to renew.
- Students must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the class.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted (this includes the WAC membership).
- All applicants will be interviewed by phone and notified by email by mid-February.
- Refunds are only given if we can fill your spot (typically from the wait list).
- If there are vacancies before class begins, we will fill them from the wait list.
- Make sure you can attend all classroom lectures and weekend trips on the schedule, including the backup weekend. Attendance is mandatory.
- Climbing is dangerous. To be considered for the class, you are required to fill out the liability waivers. You must also have health insurance throughout the class to cover any injuries.
- Submit the application. Applications are due by end of the day Saturday, December 31st.
We will contact you via email to schedule a good time for a brief phone interview. You will be notified by email by mid-February. Those who are accepted will be sent payment instructions for the $475 class fee and a request to sign the class waiver.
- Note that to assess current fitness, we would like for you to hike Mount Si carrying a 30-lb backpack and to keep track of how long it takes you to arrive at the meadow at the base of the Haystack. Time yourself from the trailhead to the meadow, and record this time. You will need a Discover Pass for parking. Directions and trail description are at: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/mount-si. The application will require you to enter in your time, a recent date hiked, and trail conditions. Please indicate a date within the last 1-2 months (meaning, if you haven't hiked it recently, go and do it this weekend!).
- Payments are to be made online through the WAC website. You'll be given 48 hours to submit the payment.
Thanks for applying!