Thanks for your interest in becoming an instructor with the WAC Basic Class! Becoming an instructor is a great way to keep your skills fresh! Just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, and we can provide more information and start the process. This deadline for signup applies to both new and returning instructors. If the deadline for becoming an instructor has passed, please keep us in mind for next year! Thanks!
Both graduates of the basic or intermediate classes and those new to the WAC are required to:
- Attend New Instructor Training at Guye Cabin.
- This is typically held the last Saturday of February.
- After taking (and passing!) your knots test, we will go over how to teach belay and rappel. After a 45-minute brown bag lunch, we'll go outside and do a "glacier" walk to our practice area to go over how to teach topics such as z-pulley, escaping the belay, and ice axe arrest.
- Be current WAC members, so either renew your membership or become a new member.
New to the WAC?
Thanks for your interest in the WAC! The process allows us to assess your skills and see if we'll be a good fit for each other. In addition to the requirements above:
- You'll be interviewed by 1-2 instructors to find out about your background and motivation for teaching in the WAC.
- One of our senior instructors will contact you to schedule time at the Mountaineers Wall for a quick skills test.
- You are invited to attend the Instructor Meet and Greet (typically held in mid-February) to learn more about the class and talk to other instructors.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us!